Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wrapping up Adams

One of the things I'd like to do with this project is involve my local library as much as possible (this may get difficult later one, but I'll try as best I can). So even though I've got access to a university library and interlibrary loan, I'm still walking downtown and checking out books for two weeks. So, despite my Netflix account, when I checked out McCullough's book, I also put in a request at the local public library for the HBO miniseries based on it.

I was #91 in the line. It's a month and a half later, and I'm #66. At this rate, we might get to watch it during November (John Quincy Adams month).

I think that's a pretty good way of thinking about Adams; I've felt stuck with him. I'm partway through the Jefferson biography, and I keep comparing it to McCullough's book ("how can you just skip over his years in France with the Adamses like that?" I'll say). The man really seems to have dominated my conception of the early days of America in a way I wouldn't have expected. Washington, sure; Jefferson, of course. Those guys were important. But I'm reacting to Adams in the way I do with new information, turning it over and over in my head to try to find where it fits in the brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment